A "stuga", (meaning little house)
is a typical Swedish house of days gone by and belonged to the family of
John Nelson. His father and mother had constructed this home, as
they might have built in Sweden, in the southeast part of Minnesota in
1872. In 1874 they came to Sac County, never returning to their
former home. John Nelson was born in Wheeler Township, south of
Odebolt, February 22, 1879 and graduated from Odebolt High School in
1897. John married Blanche Benson June 14, 1905.
Later on in their marriage, John and
Blanche decided they would travel to where his parents formerly
lived. To their surprise an old lady was able to point out the very
house his father had built in 1872. It had not been used as a home for
some time and the man who owned it was planning to tear it down.
The Nelsons purchased the old home with
plans to move it to their farm south of Odebolt, called "The
Maples". The stuga was taken down piece by piece and shipped.
When it arrived it was carefully reconstructed just as it was with the
boards running up and down rather than in a horizontal position as we are
used to seeing them. The exterior is a scheme popular all over Sweden. The
Nelsons placed old family relics, many of Swedish origin, in this little
house. Blanche, a talented artist, painted many Swedish
proverbs and sayings on the beams of the interior.
After the Nelsons passed on, the "Stuga"
was moved onto the Faith Lutheran Church property by Toy National Bank of
Sioux City and was restored during the Spring and Summer of 1985.